Chair With Ribbon

Sunday, June 20, 2010 |
Okay, so last Monday was all about my fun ruffle table skirt (check it out here).  This week I am taking you deeper (oooh...), okay it's only to take a closer look at the chairs I made to go with the table!!

Well, sorry, I didn't make the chairs, but I made the pretty ribbon that goes around them.

Now again.  Remember I do not know how to sew.  I just go with the flow.  But here is what I did.

I had this leftover fabric from the curtain valance I made for my girl's room (I'll show pictures of those another time), and I decided to make these chair ribbons out of the leftovers because then it will match in their bedroom.  Which I am all about matching!


So my plan was to have four fat ribbons on each chair, and have them sewn together neat and tidy into tubes.  BUT... somehow I again measured wrong and I ended up cutting five strips, which now the idea of having fat tubes was thrown out the window.  Now I was left with four strips that the edges are sewn down to look neat from the front (our little secret!).




Once I had four strips sewn, I started on the tie for the ribbon.  I cut a small piece of fabric, folded it in half, and sewed the side, and end.


I at least had the nice tube I wanted for the tie.  I used a pencil to turn it inside out, and stitched the end.  This part won't be shown at the end, so it's okay to look like this.


Next, on the four large strips, I gathered the ends, after measuring around the chairs, and sewed them to stay pinched. (Meaning, I scrunched up the fabric, and jammed it under the needle to stay like this!)


See...


Next I wrapped the strips around the chair, and was ready to put the tie on them.  I held the strip tight around the chair, and wrapped the tie around the ruffles.  Then holding tight I slipped the whole chair ribbon and the tie off the chair to hand stitch it into place.



I held tight, and poked the needle from the back to the front, making sure not to stitch through the front so I don't leave a trace.  I just went under and moved the tie to come out the front.


This is the back of the tie that holds both sides of the strip together, and holds the tie in place.


The End....

What the front of the chair looks like...


What the back of the chair looks like...



Yeah, I did it!  Through all my instructions you were doubting the outcome weren't you?!!  Well it looks just like I thought it would (minus the tubes- oh well).








Okay, so this last picture isn't the greatest with the crooked ribbon, and dead grass in the background... but ignore all that and tell me you want to make some too!!!


35 comments:

Samantha @ The Douangphilas said...

I totally love love love the ribbons on the chair and you make me want a cute table and chairs with a silver tea set for my girl too :) I pretty much wing every project I do and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one lol :) Turned out great!

Jenny said...

It looks great and I am especially impressed because I can't sew!!! You made that look quite easy.

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

That is really cute!! I'm adoring your blog, absolutely gorgeous and full of great ideas! :) Hazel

Vanessa said...

Very beautiful craft- your craftsmanship is admirable. I'm a new follower, please continue to inspire!

Anonymous said...

I love the bow on your chair! What a fun way to dress up and change the look of you chair.

Pam said...

For a lady who "doesn't sew"....girl you got it going on! The ribboned chair is PERFECTLY matched with your ruffled table cloth. This idea is too precious for words. Any young girl would LOVE this set. YEAH for you! Pam @ Sallygoodin

Terrell said...

Oh my! These are adorable! So simple yet they add that perfect pop for interest! Love it!!! I totally enjoy your blog, it's a blast!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Donene said...

This really makes the chair, it looks great!

Unknown said...

Beautiful- absolutely beautiful! I wish I was helping someone with a wedding right now- wouldn't those be fabulous at a wedding ceremony or reception???
We have a friday linky party- we'd love it if you'd link to this! :)

Unknown said...

Very cute! When I saw the thumbnail on GirlCreative I thought it was blue & white material which made me think of 4th of July. Wouldn't these be darling in red/blue & white? I love the ticking too.
Would love you to come over & link these up for Fab Finds for the Fourth this Thursday! I'd definitely do these for the 4th, and lots of other parties too ;)

Charity said...

Pam, you're so funny. haha, you made me smile.

Colleen, I will definitely be linking up. Thanks for the invite.

Jenny, if I can't then you can't with me too, okay?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Charity, found you over at The Girl Creative. I love the bows on the chairs... so elegant but not overdone. Tried to follow you a few weeks ago and finally got my account strait, so, I'm trying again! If you see my little face pop up in there you know it worked! Happy Monday. =)

banananutmeg said...

I can't wait to do these for thanksgiving! Thanks!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

What a great idea!!! I could imagine that at a wedding, so elegant!

Unknown said...

Way to take that from plain to CUTE! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related #12! ~Bridgette

Its So Very Cheri said...

Adorable, I am adding this to my FAVS list.

Thanks for posting to the party.

Be sure to check out the DIY Club inc.com site We have 3 new sponsors. I would love to have you enter a project.

I signed up to follow you.

Cheri

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

These are so elegant now! You have a great tutorial, too! I love what you did!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I'm in love! These make every chair (even metal folding chairs) look elegant. I will be featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

so simple yet soooo sweet! I love how this turned out! gorgeous!
gail

{eleise} said...

I just stumbled onto your blog & I love it! It's so lovely & filled with amazing things!

Katie Olthoff said...

Adorable! I DO want to make some!

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Charity-
What a simply elegant idea. I have made chair slips in the past which take time and a lot of fabric. Your ribbon bow chair idea is so clever and looks so nice on your chairs.
I found your blog through Rachel at One Pretty Thing. I will have to thank her.
My best - Diane

Fish said...

sorry this is late but you were featured here:
http://cupcake-mommie.blogspot.com/2010/06/sunday-blog-swop_20.html
have a great day!!!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

They look great! Love the stripes.

Anonymous said...

Love the stripes. What adorable bows and perfect for little girls' tea table chairs.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh how pretty and what a lovely touch for a tea or other party -- beautiful! All dressed up . . .
Cass

Anonymous said...

I think it's precious! Gives a totally different look to your chair. Love your table skirt too! Marcia

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love the chair wrap with the ribbon, too cute! Your ruffled tablecloth is very pretty.

Tamara Jansen said...

What a simple but gorgeous project! Thanks for the tips :)

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Friday! I am stopping by via the linky party.

Your chair looks utterly charming!

Tamber said...

I love it! Those are so cute. Thanks for the idea.

FineArtPainting said...

I know a little someone with the exact same chair.
Great idea!! Thanks for linking it up at Fine Craft Guild DIY Linky Party.

Do join again with an equally great tutorial next party, will ya? It opens Wednesday and you can reach it from our homepage.

:0-)
Rose
Http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

The Style Sisters said...

What a fabulous idea! It really turned out so cute!

Sabrina Spattini said...

Very nice blog :)

Laboratorio Delle Fate

Country Life said...

really nice and original!!!
great idea.
bye bye

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home