Ruffle Table Skirt

Monday, June 14, 2010 |
Okay, so finally this is done!!!  I was looking for a little white table and chairs for my girls and finally came across one, maybe three years ago at a garage sale for $10!  I loved it.  It was just what I was looking for.  Although it has since been scratched up and repainted white again.  This year I wanted to make it a little prettier (being in crafty mode), so I decided to paint it:

Yuck!  My sister said it reminded her of a poker chip.  Gee, just the look I was going for.  So I made it white again.


This of course is when I had sanded the table down.


So, I was at a giveaway (have any of you ever been to one?  They are awesome!!!  Tables, and tables and tables of free stuff.  I should get a picture of the next one I go to!) and I saw this skirt, and thought hmm... I know what I could use this for!


I decided to make a ruffle skirt for my girls table!

So I place the skirt over the table:




And drew a line around the skirt about an inch from the side so I could cut the skirt.




A beautiful sight.  A second life!



Then I measured my table around the outside.


And cut my fabric to the measurement size.


I stitched up the left piece so it would connect the whole way around, but when I went to try it on the table it was about 2 inches too short!!!!  Grr.  Did I mention I have no idea how to sew, I just make things up as I go.  So if you know how to sew, stop laughing at me, because you probably know what I did wrong.  I still don't!

So I ended up sewing 2 inches of fabric back onto the skirt to make it long enough. Which left me with an extra seam.  But this is okay.  It's a play table!

After I had the side sewn I found this adhesive velcro at the dollar store which I was going to sew onto the skirt (the reason I want the skirt attached by velcro is so I can remove it and wash it - 3 girls = messy!) but it was SO sticky that I didn't even have to.



I sewed the top down to have a nice edge at the top to cover the velcro from showing when everything was all done.


 I stuck the other velcro piece onto the table.


And, do you want to see the result?!





I am pleased with myself. I love it!  And I can finally put it back in my girls room.  but first I had to get a few pictures of them enjoying it.







Remember the tea set I bought at the thrift store and cleaned with my homemade silver polish (for the recipe look here).

She loved it for her birthday!!  Yay!




And they had a special guest too!



It was so much fun to make and put together this cute table set.  I know they are going to love playing tea party all the time now!

How do you think it turned out?  



I am linking to the parties in my top menu bar.




46 comments:

FineArtPainting said...

actually, i love it too. it's my kinda creative touch. good for you.

happy monday,

btw get a link back to your site and add this project tutorial to our linky party here:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-linky-party-free-pillow-crochet-pattern/

Rose

Debbie said...

I think this is soooo cute! What a good idea. You did a great job making your daughters table a special place for a tea party.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Unknown said...

Your Ideas are inspiring. You make me want to create something pretty!

Haverford House said...

This is so cute! Your daughter must love having tea parties now! ~Marcy

going kiwi said...

This is adorable. I just found your blog on Trendy Treehouse. I love table, tea party, everything! Good job.

raggygirlvintage said...

So creative and a beautiful ruffley tablecloth, what lucky girls!
Tracey

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love this idea! Very, very ingenius! I have an old ruffle skirt and now I know exactly what to do with it!

Jeanine

the old white house said...

So Cute! Really brilliant way to dress up your daughters table, she must love it! Theresa

ellie g said...

So, so cute! I adore how it looks with the silver tea set. It just looks so proper, and fairy-tale. It's exactly how I picture story book people sharing their magical tea. I think I'll put on a great big hat with a bow now.

tinahead81 said...

super cute!!

Unknown said...

SO Adorable!

TheCraftBarn said...

Love the table skirt!!
Newest follower from TTA! Love if you'd visit and follow back!
Jennifer @ The Craft Barn
http://thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

It looks great and I bet your girls just love it. A fun little crafting exercise!

pogonip said...

The skirted table, a silver tea set and your darling girls--an al fresco tea party to remember!

Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job!
Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
{Rebekah}

Holly Lefevre said...

LOVE it! What a beautiful table for tea! It is fresh and perfect for summer (or anytime really). Saw you over at twee poppets TTA...and am following.
Holly
504 Main

Brooke said...

How cute is this?? And that tea set is to die for! What a great childhood memory you've helped create for your kids. I love it! I found you on Blue Cricket today. Have a great day!

Brooke @ craftingchicks.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Oh wow. This is adorable! I'd love to go to a tea party like that.

I'm hosting a giveaway and I'd love it if you stopped by!

Laura @ along for the ride

Donene said...

It looks adorable and they love it!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Can I come to your tea parties? They look so fun! Great restyle of a skirt!!! I NEVER would have guessed what it was made of!

Elyse said...

i am not even kidding, my heart is racing over this! your idea, instructions and photos are really great. love this!!!

xo
elyse

ps
LOVE THIS!

Stephanie Cameron said...

adorable!! lol, your table did kind of look like a poker chip! It is so beautiful now...I need a table cloth like that!

Show Me Mama said...

I love this. I have to try it with my daughters table set that has been in the garage for a while. I will paint it all white and make a beautiful table skirt. Thanks for the tip. Lovely blog you have here. I am your new follower, come by and visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

Shelley Dawn said...

Oh my, that is seriously cute! I am on the lookout for a child size table and chairs. LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

How Cute!! Love the new look...now I need to do that to my children's little white table!
Daisy~

Anonymous said...

That is precious! Kudos for your creativity! Thanks for sharing --

Abigail

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Oh my goodness... what sweetness you created! I'm featuring your sweet table at the POPP Spotlight.

The Cozy Chateau said...

I love this so much! I have been looking for something just like this table and chairs for my little one. Those ruffles are beyond adorable!

nest of posies said...

adorbs!!!!!!!

love the fun tea party too.

Jenn said...

So Precious! I'm ready for a tea party! :)

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

That is so cute! Tea parties forever!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

what a great idea, and the table looks so cute, I'm inspired.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

The whole thing is cute cute cute. The table, the girls, the skirt, the teapot, the doll. I love this post. Made me smile.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is gorgeous! I just adore the ruffles and it looks so cute with the tea set. Fantastic Job! I'll be featuring this tomorrow. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it. ~ Stephanie Lynn

René said...

Just darling!

BECKY said...

Absolutely adorable and sooo clever! I love the ticking around the chair backs, too! Looks like it should be a feature in a magazine!
Blessings,
Becky

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love it! You are so smart!

FineArtPainting said...

Thank you for contributing this to http://www.FineCraftGuild.com's DIY Tutorial Linky Party.

It's beautiful and well presented.
And adorable....
I also love the fact that you dared to re-do and re-do till it was 'just right'. That's my kinda gal!!! Good for you.

Sooo, if you have a new & equally wonderful tutorial you wish to share with us this week, come on over. We just opened a new linky party for this week's greatest talented artisans out there! (and you are one of them ;-0)

Rose

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! Genius, really. All I see when I see a skirt is a skirt. You saw a ruffle table skirt! Love love love it and your girls look so sweet sitting at it. I have boys but if I ever have a girl, I am SO doing this!

Karen said...

Genius! What little girl wouldn't want to have a tea party here?

Caroline said...

Amazing! Very creative!!

Anne said...

I love it!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffled-table-cloth-from-a-tiered-skirt/2010/09/16/

--Anne

Anonymous said...

I love it too! I have a skirt like that (which I never wear)....thanks for the great idea!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

charity, I am featuring this on my site tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!

Connie the crafterbug said...

Love it!

Stephanie said...

Well look at you the non sewer getting on all the sewing blogs! Good for you. I love your re-purposed skirt table. I think maybe it could of been 2" inches too small because maybe you didn't count the seam? Just a wild guess I am not a sewer either.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home