Bulletin Board

Monday, May 24, 2010 |
My little niece is having a birthday party.  Thank goodness for the advance notice, because I really enjoy making gifts.  I like to test my creativity.  So here is what I came up with for her 5th birthday.  Actually, this project I saw at my favourite store (Homesense), and I thought, "that is a cute idea, I bet I could make it for less".  So this is the version I came up with.

I started with a cork board that I found at the thrift store, along with this picture frame.  It's funny because the lady I was paying at the till was going on about how soothing a lighthouse can make you feel (which is the picture in the frame).  Well, she was rambling on, and on, so I stepped in and gently (so I wouldn't crush her feelings) and told I just wanted it for the frame.  She just said, "Oh, well that's nice too!"  So does she really like lighthouses, or was she just making polite conversation, or does she just want to get rid of the thing altogether so she's making it sound better than it is...?  Anyways, I bought it.


When I got them home (sorry for the bad lighting, but I did it at night) I ripped out the picture from the frame (Anyone want a lighthouse?), and broke the frame off the cork board.



I measured the inside of the frame.



And cut it using a utility knife.   I cut the backside, and the front, so that I wouldn't ruin the cork.



After I had the cork board the size I wanted I got this stamp from the dollar store that I liked the pattern of, and I used a paintbrush to put it on the board.



I didn't blot it because it hardly left a mark on the board when I did try to blot it.


I just used whatever pattern to put it on the board.  I wanted the cork to be predominant, so  I scattered the stamp in an orderly way.



After that, I primed and then painted the frame for the board a aqua blue that I had leftover from the project here.



Now... onto make the pins for the board:

I bought these hair elastics at the dollar store.  I thought they would add just the right amount of glam to the board.



I used pliers to pop the backing off the jewel.



And thank goodness, I have finally located my glue gun.  I found it in my bathroom drawer of all places!!  I glued the jewel onto a thumb tack.



Okay, the reveal:



Stamp, jewel, picture... perfect!  Although I am not giving her the picture.  This one is my daughter, I put it here to show you what it could look like with a photo, or you can use it for artwork.





Cute.  So the one I saw at Homesense was just as good as this one, and it didn't come with pins.  It was $19.99.

Let's compare costs:

Cork board: $2.49
Picture Frame:  $4.99
Stamp:  $1.00
Pins: $1.00
Primer and paint colour:  Already had on hand.

Total:  $9.48
I win!

The good thing about my niece being little still, is I can get away with giving her things to decorate her room (which did I mention is a blue theme) because everyone else will probably be getting her toys!

I am linking up to the parties on my sidebar.


18 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

First I want to know how the hot glue made it's way in the bathroom? Second, fabulous I idea with the ponytail holders. Who would have thunk it? I love this DIY and the price too.

Charity said...

haha, oh that hot glue gun! I will sometimes plug it in my bathroom, so the kids won't be near it. But I was looking for it for weeks!!

Sager Studios said...

I LOVE it! Thanks for taking the time to put your creativity to use for Maiya. It goes perfectly with her room. I'll have to put some cool things on it. Thanks again :)

Simply Stafford said...

What a cute idea! Love the stamp!!

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

wow fabulous! How creative to paint stamp on cork. Love the jeweled push pins too.

Kaysi said...

Super cute!! I love that you stamped it, it really adds to it

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That turned out really cute! Love the blue and the tacks!

Terrell said...

Oh wow! this is just darling! I love the bling from the pushpins gives it such character! It's definately going in my "to make" file! :)

Heather said...

Very cute, great idea to use the ponytails for your jewels, they make great thumbtacks. Thanks for sharing!

malia said...

I love that aqua blue color you went with and also the jewels! Visiting from Tickled Pink Friday (-:
www.yesterdayontuesday.typepad.com

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Fri. Hodgepodge...The bulletin board is so cute (especially the glam jewels!!
I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Stephanie Cameron said...

The jewel thumb tacks are brilliant!!

Unknown said...

Looks GREAT! Those push pins are FAB! Thanks for linking to Anything Related!
~Bridgette

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

What a fabulous gift! I love the color and the stamped design! The pins are so clever and creative! Fabulous job! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Charity! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your coark board today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks again for linking to The Sunday Showcase Party! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Sarah said...

Oh this is sooo cute! I absolutely love the jeweled tacks. So awesome!

Lacey said...

Love THIS! I had to share it on my blog today at www.thequalefamily.blogspot.com

OCakes said...

LOVING your ideas! ...and, there are reasons why I have 3 hot glue guns, ha ha!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home