Painted Plant Pots

Monday, July 5, 2010 |
So I bought these plant pots at a garage sale (all for $3.00), last year (close to the end of summer), so I never got to use them.  I love flowers, so this year when pulling them out to use I decided they needed a face lift.

I fully intended on sprucing them up when I bought them, and thought I might try a stone spray paint.  I haven't tried one of those kinds of spray paints yet, but would love to try one some time.  But for this project I decided to just go with black.  I know, simple, but I had black spray paint on hand, and I wanted them to look classic and chic.

Here is the before:

Yuck, dirty, and they have that cheap speckle grey look to them.


I gave them a good scrubbing, and primed them.  They are all ready looking better!


Next,  I spray painted them black using this wonderfully silky smooth Krylon spray paint.  It actually says on the front that there is no need for priming, and it adheres to plastic.  I primed before I read that!  haha.



And Voila!  They are new and pretty looking.



I added these lovely ladies to the pot, and I am happy with my $3.00 purchase!


For now, they are gracing each side of my bench (which by the way I got at a garage sale 4 years ago for $5 - maybe I'll replace it one of these days)







P.S. I noticed people posting comments on the post after the one intended.  If you want to post it is at the top of this post beside the title (me and my fabulously creative titles right?!!)



I am linking to the parties in my top menu bar.

26 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I just LOVE a can of spray paint...it's wonderful stuff!

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

Your pots look fabulous, amazing what a bit of paint can do! Great work Charity. xx

Debbiedoos said...

Purple and black look stunning! Great job!

Sager Studios said...

They look good.

Amanda said...

Love it! I am thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks for the inspiration.

gena said...

I've recently discovered spray paint and LOVE it too ! These look awesome - especially the PURPLE flowers !!!!

thanks for sharing,
gena
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

I love the look of your pots, they no longer look plastic! I think black was a great choice and the purple flowers look stunning!

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Found you on All Thingz Related - LOVE the black with the purple petunias - so sleek!!

Good Job!!!

Sparkles N' Sports said...

Amazing what a little can of black spray paint can do!! The pots look great especially with the purple flowers. I really need to spruce up some of my posts after seeing your post. Thanks for the tips!!

Unknown said...

They look great! It's amazing what a little spray paint can do! Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Hey, I have those exact planters including two tall ones! I did the same thing years ago, spray painted them flat black with overspray of brown and a teensy bit of orange to look like rusty iron. We used the tall ones for wedding flowers awhile back, the black/rust really makes them look vintage. Just wish I could find more at the $3 price you paid!

Anonymous said...

Those look great! I love that a little can of paint can make such a huge difference and bring old things to life!

NicoleD said...

What a great yard sale find! I love the contrast of the purple flowers with the shiny black. Great job!

Julie said...

I painted some of those exact planters many years ago at my old house! Brings back memories!

Charity said...

I'm so happy to hear that others are updating their planters and not throwing them away! Yeah for recycling!

Season of Life said...

Great way to spruce up something perfectly usable still ~ new color, new life for a once simple trio of containers. Gotta love Krylon paint, too...no priming needed. I (my eldest son) repainted my lounger with the Krylon spray paint.

Blessings ~

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

They look great!!!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Looks fabulous!! I have some white ones too!! I am thinking about giving them a little spray paint too!

Jami said...

Those turned out great! I heart spray paint!
smiles!

www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I had the exact same planters I found at a garage sale this year...and painted them with the exact same paint. They look so much better!

Staci J said...

So classy and pretty!! I LOVE the black! Visiting from A vision to Remember
justsewsassy.com

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Very nice! What a terrific idea!
Thank you for sharing!

Erin said...

Love the black waaaaay better and with the purple, it is so eye catching!

shortmama said...

They look beautiful!

Nicholette said...

Gotta love spray paint! They're lovely! Great job. Thanks for linking up!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Those look stunning in black. Who would have know they didn't start that way. I am a new follower.
~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 
{Check out how I made my name 'clickable'.}

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home