Valance With A Ribbon

Monday, June 28, 2010 |
I know, I know... my titles are lame, but I do it for you, you know.  That way if you ever want to refer back to a project you can type in what it was called in my search box to the right and it will most likely be the first project that pops up.  Try it!

I usually like to have my post up first thing in the morning on Monday, but well... my kids are out of school now, and well... I slept in!!  It felt great!  It was only until 7:30, but I am back into routine tomorrow (5:30-gym).

Okay, on with it...

I sewed these valance curtains awhile ago, but never finished stitching up the sides.  So that's what I finished up, and I thought I would explain the process along the way.

First, I bought this pretty fabric from the store (on sale of course), it was $15, and it coordinates with my girls bedspreads.  I took a long piece of fabric, that went the length of the curtain rod over their window.  Leaving an inch extra on each side to hem.


Recognize the fabric?  This is the fabric that I had leftovers from to make these ribbon covered chairs (click here if you missed them).

I actually matched my thread to the fabric (sometimes, I am too lazy, and like to use what I have on hand, but for this, I made an exception).


Here is where I attached another piece onto the valance, because I wanted my stripes vertical, so I needed to add more fabric.


I folded over the bottom twice, and hemmed it, to make it clean cut.  This is the bottom of the valance, so it has a small hem.



The top of the valance I made to go right over the curtain rod, ends and all, so it was a lot thicker.



Here is the side view, I can stick the whole rod in with the ends on because I don't want to have to detach the ends when I have to take off the valance (whenever that would be...)


To make the side look like a puff, rather than fall flat I hand stitched just a few stitches, starting from the front, because I wanted the bottom of the puff to flip under, not out.


I stitched about 7 stitches, that were one inch apart so it would be a loose bunch.


If my fingertips looked orange in the photo above it's because (no I do not have nasty nails) I was peeling carrots to take on our picnic this morning.

I pulled the stitches together and tied a knot when I had them bunched the way I wanted them.


Finally I bought this pink ribbon from the dollar store, and wrapped it around the front and back of the valance, and tied it at the bottom.


There you have it.  Cute bunches, and a cute ribbon tie.  Heehee, finally I got the ends done.







I am thinking of hanging some sheer white curtains behind these, and tying them with a bow as well.  Just to give it a more finished look.

What do you think?  Do you like this style too?  
I think they are perfect in my daughter's room.



I am linking to the parties on my top menu bar.

17 comments:

Jackie said...

Very nice Great choice of color!

Marla said...

Love the look and the colors. Elegant and feminine.

Meghan said...

These turned out so adorable!

Jenny said...

Very pretty and very clever!

EYE can make that! said...

I like this. I'm going to make one for my daughters room.... thanks for the tutorial :)
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ashley said...

So cute! I need to make these for my craft room!!!!

Our Funny Little Family said...

These are so pretty! I want them for my daughter's room right now. :) I'm following you now from TTA and I look forward to your future projects!

http://funnylittlepeanut.blogspot.com

Elyse said...

perfectly adorable!

xo
elyse

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Very SWEET looking STYLE! Hop over and check out my COASTAL GIVEAWAY!

Blessings,
Linda

NoDebtMomma said...

Super cute! I always have a hard time thinking up catchy titles too!

Sam
Mom.Undecided.
http://momundecided.blogspot.com/
*Come on over - I'm hosting my first giveaway!*

NicoleD said...

Way to cute! Love the color combo and the bows are the perfect touch of whimsy!

cherry said...

So pretty love them ! Pink ROCKS ..lol
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

The Leader said...

I am your newest follower. Please follow me back at www.jessielynnsmith.com

Thanks!

<3 Jess

Alida L. said...

Very pretty! I love the gray and pink together!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I adore this project. It is going in my style file for sure!

Happy 4th of July!

Unknown said...

Very cute...great tutorial! Thanks for joining us for another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Melissa said...

Thanks, I just finished the same style and couldn't figure out how to get my ends to quit flipping out!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home