Hutch Project Part 2

Monday, September 20, 2010 |



I decided I wanted to have my project on my site, so I am reposting it. Thanks to Jen for having me as a guest at Tater tots and Jello back in August.  Check it out here.


It all started with me being inspired by a fellow blogger, scouring my basement to find something to makeover, and I came across this:

It was the hutch for a dresser I bought off Kijiji for my daughter's room.  Whoever painted it this terribly streaky brown must be controlled!  But I snatched it for it's potential.  Although I have to say it sat in my daughters room (attached to the dresser) for a year before I got sick of the ugliness and moved it to the basement.  I had plans to paint it white, but.... excuses, excuses...


Anyways, with new hope for this piece I cut it in half on a table saw.  The piece in the front ended up becoming a bench for my kids playhouse.  You can see it here.  I am focusing on the piece in the back now.  I knew exactly what I wanted it for.

I primed it.  I can't even tell you with what because it was just something my husband had.  It's latex at least.


I used a jig saw for the first time, and cut the side to make it prettier! 


Then I painted the inside of the boxes blue.  This is a can of paint I had leftover.  I love the cool feel of the colour.


I love bead board as I am sure lots of you do too.  So I had to add some of that.  I used a table saw to cut the pieces to fit the area I wanted.



I glued the bead board on with No More Nails Glue.



I wanted my shelf (I just gave it away!) to have hooks, but I couldn't find any that were cheap enough for my liking... until I went in the hardware aisle at Dollarama!  They were perfect!  And only $1.25 for 2.



I painted them with black spray paint.  The kind you don't need primer for (that's my kind all right!).


See how much prettier they are now!



Then I painted everywhere else on the shelf with just a matte latex stark white colour.




Ready?

Ta Da!



Now, here is the part I haven't finished yet, see the white line at the bottom under the bead board.  I have to caulk it so you don't see the gap.  And besides the fact that I haven't hung her up yet is also incomplete... but hey, that won't stop me from taking a few shots of how it will be.




Can I just say, this is no small piece of furniture!  I had to use every arm and neck muscle to hoist this up on my dresser to get a few pictures.  Needless to say it will be secured to the wall into the studs!












So a reminder of the start:
This...



Became...
A bench for my kids playhouse,


And...
A shelf for their bedroom.



So, does anybody have a hutch they feel like chopping in half now?





8 comments:

M.O.T.B said...

lOVE IT! I will be on the lookout for a hutch!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Love the color combo!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job!
I love that turquoise colour at the moment. I did some old louved doors in a similar colour & then did white over the top & distressed it.
Love the beadboard look down the bottom too, just perfect!

Jami said...

That is extraordinary! I'm in awe of your abilities!
smiles~

Colleen said...

Wow, I'm speechless.... it looks so good and to make two items out of it, that's just genius. Loving the colours, hooks, everything!

Ann On and On... said...

I am very certain whatever you do it will turn out great.

M.O.T.B said...

Wow, what a fun playhouse!!!!!! I want one for my boys!

M.O.T.B said...

I gave you an award today! Wow three comments on one post!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home